Sunday, January 13, 2008

1. Skinny Bitch


by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin, audiobook read by Ren'e Raudman.

I picked up this audiobook at the library on New Year's Eve because of the catchy title. How I wish I had checked the reviews of the book first. The title as well as the front and back covers gave me the impression that it would be a sarcastic, motivating pep talk for developing a healthier lifestyle in the new year.

WRONG! This book is animal rights propaganda advocating a vegan lifestyle. NOWHERE is that indicated on the covers! You get about two chapters in and are hit with a long diatribe against all animal foods. I ended up skipping though most of these sections.

The value of what I did listen to is offset by the anger I felt at being misled by the covers' false advertising. Even the illustration on the back cover (of a woman with a dumbbell) implies that the importance of exercise in weight loss will be mentioned – and it never is. The more I listened, the more I grew irritated at the authors' frequent swearing and foul language. That gets old after a while and makes the authors (a former model and former model agent) sound like children who keep cussing just to annoy others.

Don't waste your time or money on this one.

1 comment:

  1. I hated this book too! I was especially offended by their assertion that PMS is just 'practice for the pain of childbirth' and that we should all just suck it up and never use pain medication. As if we're all just sitting around doing nothing waiting for the day we have children... I didn't have a problem with the cursing, and probably would have enjoyed a book of this type if they had offered any realistic diet advice, but I agree that they definitely had an agenda going on, and I didn't end up finishing the book.

    ReplyDelete