Saturday, February 09, 2008

9. Vulture View

by April Pulley Sayre,
illustrated by Steve Jenkins


This is the second book I haven't been able to purchase for my Curriculum Collection but found at my local county library. It's also an award winner, a 2008 Theodor Seuss Geisel Honor Book, for beginning readers. The rhyming text of Sayre (who has written a number of natural history books for children), coupled with the distinctive and colorful cut-paper collages by Jenkins (a Caldecott Honor winner in 2004), create a distinctive book on an unusual subject - turkey vultures. A two-page spread at the end of the book gives factual information about these scavenger carrion-eaters, also known as buzzards here in Texas. I believe my son would have enjoyed this book when he was younger, to learn more about these birds he saw on his visits here.

2 comments:

  1. Amanda, thank-you for commenting on my blog. I read Listening for Lions, but after your comment, I'm going to make a point of listening to the audio.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Booklogged! I appreciate your blog - it's giving me lots of ideas for books to purchase for my university's curriculum collection!

    ReplyDelete