Monday, July 07, 2008

39. The Other Boleyn Girl

by Philippa Gregory, read by Ruthie Henshall

I listened to the abridged audiobook "movie tie-in" edition and was VERY disappointed. While the reader, Ruthie Henshall, was quite good (even doing a plausible job on men's voices), the abridgment butchered the book! I also had a print copy on hand, and there is no way a 600+ page book could be condensed to six CDs without leaving out a lot of important details. I suspect the abridgment corresponds better with the recent movie it ties into (which I have not seen) as it doesn't do the book itself justice. I ended up reading the latter as well.

It is interesting to read the varied opinions about the historical accuracy of the book in reviews at LibraryThing and at Amazon.com. This is a work of historical FICTION and I feel it was successful because it made me want to read more about the Boleyns from more reputable sources. I found the book to be a quick, enjoyable read, one that was hard to put down.

I would give NO stars to the abridgement but 4+ stars to the full book.

ETA: Here's SomeReads' review.

2 comments:

  1. I think I said much the same thing in my review of The Other Boleyn Girl. I enjoyed it, too. I never listen to abridged audiobooks - I just don't see the point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've listened to a few abridgments that were OK. I purchased this one for our library, and there was no unabridged version available (we have to buy new; and I'd WANT to buy new when it comes to audiobooks).

    I'll find your review, edit my post and link to it.

    ReplyDelete