Saturday, November 15, 2008

63. The Gathering

by Anne Enright

This is not a book I would have read if my local book club was not discussing it. I have to wonder if the member who suggested it actually read it before, or recommended it simply because it won the Man Booker Prize for Fiction in 2007 (the British Commonwealth equivalent to the National Book Award for fiction).

In a word, this book was awful. Dark and depressing. Characters I couldn't care about. Very little plot, and the events jump all over in time and are hard to follow. The narrator, Veronica, returns to her mother's home Dublin along with seven siblings for the funeral of her brother Liam, who committed suicide. Much of the book is about her grandmother Ada, the mysterious Lambert Nugent who is in love with her, and Veronica and Liam's childhood days spent in Ada's home.

This felt like one of those books you'd be assigned to read in high school honors or college English class, supposedly full of stuff to discuss and analyze. If I hadn't had to read it for book club, I would have stopped after 51 pages - and Enright doesn't really get to the point until pages 142 and 224 (out of 261).

Don't waste your time on this one like I did.

1 comment:

  1. I have read nothing but bad reviews of this one!

    ReplyDelete