Saturday, July 18, 2009

102 (2009 #27). The Friday Night Knitting Club

by Kate Jacobs
read by Carrington MacDuffie


This was somewhat predictable and unsatisfying chick lit. It’s the stories of a group of seven women who are part of a loosely-organized “Friday Night Knitting Club” that meets at Walker and Daughter, a yarn store operated by single mom Georgia Walker. Unfortunately, following so many characters proves to be a little too much for the 360-page novel, and some of them are underdeveloped. The book does come together fairly well by the time of its tearjerker ending, though. Still, for light reading, I would recommend this, and the characters intrigued me enough that I would consider the sequel the next time I need a beach read. I’m not a knitter, but there’s really not that much knitting in this book – just little sections interspersing chapters describing various knitting techniques and stitches.

I listened to this audiobook (read by Carrington MacDuffie, whose silky alto is quite good) right around my first trip to New York City. For me the best part of the book was seeing some of the places and areas mentioned in it. The fictional Walker and Daughter yarn store is at Broadway and 77th on the Upper West Side; we stayed at the lovely Lucerne Hotel one block off Broadway at 79th and Amsterdam. One character lives in the historic San Remo between 74th and 75th on Central Park West, just a few blocks away. Canadian author Kate Jacobs spent a decade living and working in New York City, and it shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment