Tuesday, October 05, 2010

177 (2010 #42). The Aloha Quilt

by Jennifer Chiaverini,
read by Christina Moore

This is book number 16 in the Elm Creek Quilts series, many of which I've read (and a few I've reviewed).  This one, obviously, is set in Hawaii. Bonnie, one of the founders of Elm Creek Quilt Camp, has been invited by her best friend Claire to come to Hawaii to help set up a quilt camp there.  Bonnie, having recently experienced the failure of both her quilt store and her marriage in Pennsylvania, agrees to come for six months as a consultant to help Claire get the quilt camp going.

There is some fascinating information about Hawaiian-style quilting, and the quilt made by Hawaiian Queen Lili‘uokalani during her imprisonment at 'Iolani Palace in Honolulu.  Most of the story takes place on Maui, particularly in Lahaina, so some of the sights in and around there are woven into the narrative.  I appreciate this after going to Hawaii in May and visiting some of the places mentioned in the story.

Sometimes Bonnie is rather intolerant in the story, particularly when it comes to Claire's mistakes.  However, I had a LOT of empathy for Bonnie when it came to her soon-to-be-ex-husband Craig.  His behavior reminded me of my own ex-husband, and one phone conversation the two of them had left me shaking and angry; it was SO real for me.  I wanted to keep listening the audiobook, beyond the 45-minute stretches of my commute, just to find out what happens in that situation.  There are also a couple of unresolved scenarios by the end of this book that I'm sure will be addressed in future books in this series.

So far I've enjoyed all of the Elm Creek Quilts novels I've read or listened to - Christina Moore does an outstanding job giving each character a little different nuance with her voice.

© Amanda Pape - 2010

[This audiobook was borrowed from and returned to my local public library.]

2 comments:

  1. These sound great! I used to quilt with my Grandmother and then with my Aunt in Lubbock. I want to try these. Does the DSL own this book or did you ILL it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Tracy, for reminding me that I originally forgot to put the source of the book at the end of my post - I've since added it. All the Elm Creek Quilts books I've read or listened to were borrowed from public libraries. I'm sure you could get it from ILL. I think it is a good series.

    ReplyDelete