Tuesday, December 28, 2010

189 (2010 #54). The Lady in the Tower

by Alison Weir,
read by Judith Boyd

I picked up this book at the local public library because I've enjoyed Alison Weir's other forays into fiction.  It turns out this book had been misclassified by the library as fiction - it's really a partial biography - but I found it pretty easy to follow even in audiobook format.

Subtitled "The Fall of Anne Boleyn,"  the book concentrates on that four-month period at the end of her life in 1536.  In her preface, Weir states that the book "is based largely on original sources, and that the conclusions in it are my own, sometimes reached objectively after reading the various theories" of what led to Anne's fall.  Weir notes that she "questioned all my preconceptions and assumptions, and sometimes had to revise them, which of course exposes errors in my own previous books," (two on Henry VIII that discussed Anne at length).

British actress Judith Boyd does a wonderful job making Weir's well-written nonfiction prose even more lively and interesting.  Nevertheless, I'd recommend a print copy of the book in addition to or instead of the audiobook, to have access to Weir's preface, the many illustrations (most color plates), genealogical tables, and her notes on (and evaluations of) some of her sources, as well as a select bibliography, complete end notes and references, and the index.

© Amanda Pape - 2010

[This audiobook and hardbound copy were borrowed from and returned to my local public library.]

No comments:

Post a Comment