Sunday, April 29, 2012

279 (2012 # 24). Isaac: A Modern Fable

by Ivan G. Goldman

I have to confess, I didn't quite get the "modern fable" aspect of this book.  Perhaps I'm not as well-read as I should be.  Lenny is the Biblical Isaac, granted eternal life after being spared from sacrifice by his father Abraham.  This isn't as great as it might seem, as Lenny outlives those he grows to love, and so tries to avoid relationships.  Then he meets Ruth, a brilliant academic whose forte is Mary Shelley and Frankenstein.   I enjoyed Lenny and Ruth and their love affair, but I wasn't quite sure I understood Borges (who offers Ruth a job that's too good to be true) and "The Beast" characters.  The tone was witty and sarcastic and not at all preachy - worth a re-read to see if I "get it" better the next time.

© Amanda Pape - 2012

[I received an advance reader edition of this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program.  It will be passed on to someone else to enjoy.]

No comments:

Post a Comment