Saturday, August 31, 2013

352 (2013 #36). Breath, Eyes, Memory

by Edwidge Danticat

I picked up this book at a Friends of the Library fill-the-box-for-$5 sale, probably grabbing it because of the intriguing title.  It had been sitting in my TBR shelves for a while, and as it was short, I decided to give it a try.  I was extremely disappointed.

The book is set partly in Haiti and partly in the eastern United States, and focuses on three generations of women:  Sophia, her mother Martine and aunt Atie, and grandmother Ife.  The characters are one-dimensional and the plot is boring.  Danticat works in all sorts of feminist issues:  rape, genital mutilation, virginity, sexual abuse.

Unfortunately, there isn't enough description of Haiti and life there, which might have redeemed the book for me.  Not recommended.

© Amanda Pape - 2013

[This book was purchased at a Friends of the Library book sale, and it will be donated back to be re-sold.]

No comments:

Post a Comment