Friday, October 11, 2013

359 (2013 #43). On the Road to Mr. Mineo's

by Barbara O'Connor,
read by Suzy Jackson

I was rather disappointed in this story.  Perhaps it's because I don't have a very high opinion of pigeons, homing or one-legged or otherwise.  Barbara O'Connor does a good job conjuring up the look and feel of a timeless small Southern town (the fictional Meadville, South Carolina), but I didn't care about Sherman the pigeon or any of the kids trying to catch him, or the grown-ups in the story.  I found myself getting impatient for the book to just end.  There's a lot of repetition, in the plot and in the text, but that might be good for beginning or struggling readers.

However, the quality of the audiobook was outstanding!  Recorded Books does what many audiobook producers don't any more - tells you when the disc is beginning and ending, and which disc you are on.  Actress Suzy Jackson is an excellent narrator with a youthful sound who does a credible job with Southern accents and creating variety in the voices of the characters.  My only quibble is that I believe the audiobook is longer than 2.75 hours - more like 4 to 4.5, given the length of my commute and the fact that it took three days to listen to it.


© Amanda Pape - 2013

[I received this audiobook from Recorded Books via the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.  It will be donated to my university library.]

No comments:

Post a Comment