Saturday, December 28, 2013

371 (2013 #55). Manfish

by Jennifer Berne,
illustrated by Eric Puybaret

I borrowed this e-book from my local public library mostly to test out Overdrive, the system used for e-lending, to see if it would work alright on my Kindle before an upcoming cruise.  I needed a short book for the test and this fit the bill.

Manfish is subtitled "A Story of Jacques Cousteau."  This picture book biography focuses on his younger years, especially his childhood, and less on the time after he became famous.  The writing is poetic at times and the illustrations are gorgeous.

I was curious how well a picture book would translate to the electronic format.  So, I picked up a print copy of the book at my local public library to compare them.

Below is a screenshot of the title page in the e-book version.

Below is the double-page spread for the title page (to the right) and the verso (copyright information, opposite the title page in this case).  Click on it to see it in a larger format.
You will notice that the same illustration that just takes up a few inches in the Kindle version is a double-page spread in the print version.  ALL of the illustrations in this book are double-page spreads, some turned vertically to emphasize the depth of the ocean, so being able to view them in their full glory is important, in my opinion.

I don't think this particular e-book was published with the Kindle Format 8 (KF8) feature, also referred to as Kindle Text Pop-Up.  This might better replicate the experience of reading a print picture book.  For now, though, I plan to stick with the latter.

© Amanda Pape - 2013

[I borrowed and returned both versions of this book, print and Kindle, from my local public library.]

No comments:

Post a Comment