Sunday, December 28, 2014

439 (2014 #67). NPR Driveway Moments: Love Stories

National Public Radio (NPR) describes a "driveway moment" as the unwillingness to stop listening to an unfinished story on your car radio once you've reached your destination - you are compelled to hear the end of the story.  I don't think many (if not most) of the stories in this "love stories" collection were of that type for me, however.

This anthology consists of 24 segments that first aired between Valentine's Day 1990 and July 29, 2014.  The shortest segment (also my favorite) was just over two minutes; the longest was seventeen.

I don't listen to NPR, so perhaps I was not the best audience for this book.  I do listen to a LOT of audiobooks on my long commute, which is probably why I received this to review.

What made some segments more enjoyable for me were the musical interludes that ended them.  For example, my favorite, the two-minute StoryCorps segment called "A Fiery Valentine's Day for Two Firefighters in Love" ended with the first verses of Elvis Presley's "Burning Love."  Another much longer segment (eleven and a half minutes) called "Happily Married Couples Tell Tales," about three couples with long marriages (32-38 years), eneed with some lines from Al Green's "Let's Stay Together."

The funniest segment was the first one on the second disc, "The Complexities of Modern Love in the Digital Age," on what might happen if two automated customer service voices, a male one and a female one, were to have a relationship. That one ended with the refrain from 867-5309.  I also got a kick out of the most recent segment (July 29, 2014), "OKCupid Messes with Love in the Name of Science," about the online dating service that deliberately messed around with the matchmaking algorithms for some of its subscribers in an experiment.  Needless to say, paying subscribers were not happy, and "Stupid Cupid" is an appropriate song here.

Stories about letters sent to Shakespeare's Juliet (answered by the Juliet Club in Verona, Italy), 1940s love letters found after Superstorm Sandy, and 1934 courtship letters between Lyndon and Lady Bird Johnson sparked my interest from a historical viewpoint.

All in all, this was an enjoyable collection, good for times you need something to listen to that is short and easy.

© Amanda Pape - 2014

[I received this audiobook from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program in exchange for a review.  The audiobook will be donated to my university's collection.]

No comments:

Post a Comment