Wednesday, December 09, 2015

532 (2015 #89). Back in the Game

by Lori Wilde,
read by C. J. Critt

This is the first book in Lori Wilde's Stardust, Texas series, which features daughters from the Carlyle family of the mythical East Texas town of Stardust, and baseball players from the mythical Dallas Gunslingers team.  I read the second book in the series, Rules of the Game, about six months ago.

Wilde has woven fewer romance tropes (which I've italicized) into this story than some of her others I've read.  Billionaire athlete playboy Rowdy Blanton is a tortured hero, essentially having an office romance with Breeanne (who he hires to ghostwrite his autobiography), a virgin with physical scars from numerous operations for a heart condition.

Perhaps for that reason, I liked this story a little better.  Oh sure, I knew everything would work out in the end, but it was a little less predictable.  Some of the events in the story were a bit unrealistic, but it was a fun, light read.

This time I stuck with the audio version performed by actress C. J. Critt.  Her reading was fine although a bit slow, and I enjoyed her giving characters appropriate Texas accents.


© Amanda Pape - 2015

[This audiobook was borrowed from and returned to my local public library.]

No comments:

Post a Comment