Monday, June 13, 2016

668 (2016 #23). Strong & Sculpted

by Brad Schoenfeld

I requested this book (along with some others) one month in the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program because I've recently lost (and kept off) 25 pounds, and would now like to tone up.

Strong & Sculpted was written by Brad Schoenfeld, a fitness expert who has actually conducted studies and written articles for peer-reviewed journals.  He explains the science and theory behind his exercise programs, including clarifying myths about bulking up, spot reduction, and becoming longer and leaner.

The book has step-by-step instructions and full-color photos for 117 different exercises.  What I like most about this section is that Schoenfeld groups them by the targeted muscles, and in almost all cases, there are choices for the equipment I have at hand (dumbbells only, and not a proper exercise bench).  I appreciate not feeling that I *have* to join a gym to use this program - although the advice of a professional trainer would probably be useful in helping me determine just how much weight to use for each exercise.  In fact, I think the book would be especially useful for a personal trainer.

© Amanda Pape - 2016

[I received this book in exchange for an honest review from the LibraryThing Early Reviewer program.  I think I will hang onto it for a while.]

No comments:

Post a Comment