Sunday, February 12, 2017

720 (2017 #18). Writing Hard Stories

by Melanie Brooks

I requested this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program because I have a "hard story" of my own that I might want to write some day, and I was looking for inspiration, as author Melanie Brooks was.  She has a difficult story to tell about the death of her father from AIDS, and kept getting stuck in her writing.  She decided to interview 18 memoirists who had written similar difficult stories.

Of the 18 she chose, I had only heard of one - Edwidge Danticat (and I did not really care for the one novel of hers I had read).  I have to say, though, that after reading Brooks' interviews, I found at least one memoir I'm interested in reading.

Unfortunately, the interviews become rather repetitious after a while.  I also got tired of Brooks' references back to her own writing struggles.  I think this book might be most useful as a reference for a class about writing memoirs.

© Amanda Pape - 2017

[I received this book through the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.  It will be donated to my university library.]

No comments:

Post a Comment